Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Challenged even while Sleeping?

We have been told lying on my left side while sleeping is actually good for me and the baby: It improves the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and it helps kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from my body. That, in turn, reduces swelling in my ankles, feet, and hands. I was told to try to train myself to sleep on my left side early on so it will be easier later.

During the second half of pregnancy, I was warned to avoid sleeping on my back, a position that puts the full weight of the uterus on my spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put me at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Who knew? Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure.

I have found this task daunting, I find myself on my right side, stomach, back, every side but the left! Who knew it could be so challenging!!!

Alissa and Stephen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I however am sleeping just fine...Thanks for your concern.
-Stephen :)