Picture this: I get a call that Madi has a fever of 101. I leave work to get Madi, as Steve is on his way to a choir concert he can't get out of, I take my cell phone from my purse into my pocket so I can more easily answer the phone if needed. I pick up Madi and collect all her things.
We step outside, I decide to forgo our usual walk to the train station (because Madi is sick, I wanted to save time, and because it was rainy out), and instead we take the M66 crosstown bus to the 1 train station.
I was holding my coat, but I decided to put on the coat (even if I was roasting from the heaviness of the coat and the -despite rain- nice temps outside) so that I had less to carry. I set down my purse, take off the backback with all of Madi's daycare belongings, and put on my coat. I then put the backpack on and then... failed this time to look behind me to make sure I gathered everything.
I get off, opened the umbrella and walked the 1/2 block or so to the train. I walk down the stairs, entered the platform, and BOOM, realize what I had just done.
I look down to make sure I wasn't mistaken, pleaded with myself that I really did have my purse on my arm, realize I really didn't, I say "F***", then apologize to Madi for doing so, and proceed to sprint back up the stairs, onto the street to play tag with the buses. I got back to the stop I got off at and got on the next bus.
Ironically, I remember exactly what the driver #1 looked like and the time I had gotten on his bus. But I thought for sure I would never see him again, although my new driver thought otherwise.
We get on the next M66 and I explain to the driver #2what happened. I asked the driver if he can communicate with the command center that a purse is missing; he did so. Then a passenger offered to share a cab with me to go chase the bus. I stated that I would rather wait on the bus, wait for the driver to hear from the command center and meet up with the M66 on York on the E.side of Manhattan where the buses wait. The driver assured me that only there were only 1-2 buses separating me from my purse because buses only come so often.
Finally, we get to York, I see two M66 buses, luckily not more. Driver says that one of them is my bus. I thank him profusely for helping. I dart off the bus and he says "careful, don't rush, don't hurt yourself". I merrily run to the 2 buses, happy there is even a hint of a chance I may be reunited with A) my same driver and more importantly B) my red beloved bag. I knock on the doors saying that I lost my purse. Immediately I know that bus#1 was not my bus, the driver didn't look familiar. I move to bus#2 and I explain why I am there. He asked if I was sure I was on that bus and I explained how I knew: He is the man with a toothpick in his mouth and he had let an rude old gentleman off the bus at Columbus who asked him rudely to lower the bus so he could more easily get off, at which point he knew I was searching the right bus. I looked at the seat I was in, he helped me too, but no red Longchamp bag to be found!
Driver #2 showed up when I was in bus #1 and asked if I had found my purse, I thought that was very nice of him.
Positive side note~ I had not lost my Madi and she is the only reason, at the time, that I did not lose my mind, I was actually VERY calm, while dying inside picturing all of the great purses, shoes and clothing my thief could be purchasing on 5th Avenue right then. Thank goodness, also, I did have my cell phone which I almost lost had I not transferred it to my pocket instead of my purse (in which case I would have felt totally isolated and the cards would not have been cancelled as quickly). I also thank Steve for staying calm and assuring me that all he cared about was that Madi and I were safe, healthy, and not in danger, not that the thief may have had access to ALL of our accounts.
I knew it was a story not likely to have a good ending, but I had to try, and I did go about it the right way (I did find the right bus) just not in time! I guess I was hoping someone grew up with a little decency/honesty/fear of Karma, but I guess the idea of free money got the best of them.
I contacted Steve, informed him of what happened, told him exactly which cards I had in my purse and he cancelled all of them in a timely and controlled manner.
Madilyn, of course, was amazing throughout the whole process. She looked at me, I swear, at one point, really looked at me and knew I was upset. She didn't fuss or make a peep the whole time between 4:30 and 6:15Pm, and in fact she fell sleep on the bus and didn't lose it until we got home.
This was my (our) first and God willing last time losing a wallet/purse.
We got home, Madi ate 4 ounces, tooksome tylenol for her fever, had some eye drops put in, was given a bath, dressed, she then at 5 more ounces and was asleep 20 miutes past her usual bedtime; not bad all in all!
Thanks for reading...
Alissa & Madilyn
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
OH MY GOD!! The perils of being a mom. So sorry, I would be crying and freaking out if I lost my purse. Someone may still return it, hopefully!
Post a Comment