Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Reflections on the tantrum...

Yesterday, October 27, 2009, I went to pick Madilyn up from school. We had a pick up routine, I had been walking in, saying Hi to everyone, picking up our things, then leaving the room. Before this routine I would sit, she would play, I would chat with teachers and give her some transitional time. I realized, it wasn't working. By the end of the day she is exhausted, it set her over the edge to keep playing and then have me tear her away, it was better to leave and continue on our way. When I walk in she stops playing to greet me, so I used that as a way to leave the school since she had forgotten about playing by that time anyway. Yesterday, I neglected to keep this routine. I am unsure why I did this. Pick up did NOT go well yesterday, needless to say. She was flailing, crying, screaming, running from me, etc when we tried to leave the school. I could feel my blood pressure rising because even though I know WHY it was happening, to be unable to help her cope or deal with the situation is hard to bear. I don't want to "solve" everything for her, coping skills are necessary and she is entitled to get upset and not simply have me "make it better", but yet I was almost embarassed that I could not calm her down. Like I said, I know this happens at her age of development, but being cognizant is not enough for the physical reaction in my body to take place.

Thanks for reading,
Alissa

No comments: